Monday, April 21, 2008

Weekly Book List

Here are some of the books we read and enjoyed this past week:

Mommy: Two Women of Galilee by Mary Rourke. Read my review on Goodreads. This was not my favorite, but I didn't dislike it. It was just not as good as I think it should have been.

Dad: Xenocide by Orson Scott Card. Second book in the Ender's series. Recommended if you like sci-fi. He's on to book three!

Kimball: The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. He enjoyed it and said that he identifies most with the tin man. One day this week he'll do a book report on it and we'll post it here.

Moby Dick by Herman Melville-- Retold by Will Eisner. Tells the story of Moby Dick in comic book format, which Kimball has learned to love thanks to Calvin & Hobbes. He gobbled it up, and I figure it gives him some background into the novel. I can't compare it to the real thing because I have never made it through Moby Dick.

Henry: Nate The Great Goes Undercover by Marjorie Sharmat. This was the longest book that Henry has ever read aloud. I was so proud of him--he did a great job and surprised himself. Since then, he has been doing a lot more independent reading of books that I knew he could read but he didn't! I have a small basket of books at the foot of his and Kimball's beds that I have selected as their reading level or a bit challenging that they are allowed to read if they wake up before 7:00 am, or are having a hard time falling asleep, or if they just need a break from the family. I've noticed that this week he's been actually reading them. Yeah!

McElligot's Pool by Dr. Suess. Henry checked this out at the school library and after I'd read it to him once he decided he could do it on his own. He and Ian both love the silliness of the book.

Ian/Family Read Alouds: The Giant of Seville by Dan Andreasen. This is based on a true story of the tallest known married couple. It's a cute, feel good picture book of 19th century America.

I, Crocodile by Fred Marcellino. Tells the story of a crocodile captured by Napoleon and brought to Paris. He enjoys being all the rage for a while, then discovers that he's a has-been. Funny picture book.

Tacky and the Emperor by Helen Lester. The kids love the Tacky books. I'm sure that it's because Tacky always does things that are silly and unconventional (although what really is conventional for a penguin?) Tacky's friends are always doing everything perfectly and concerned about appearances.The message of them is always good, but I find the books to be a bit trite. Still, since Ian picked it out and there's nothing truly objectionable about it, I must have read this book aloud 37 times this week. Time to return it to the library!:)

A Plump and Perky Turkey by Teresa Bateman. This is really more appropriate at Thanksgiving, but it was a fun little story about a turkey who outfoxes the townsfolk. They have to eat shredded wheat for Thanksgiving dinner, while he relaxes on the beach with his buddies.

These were the standouts this week. I don't have time to highlight every book we read, but these were worth mentioning.

2 comments:

Ice Cream said...

Kimball and David (pablo) sound very much alike. David also loves Calvin and Hobbs and so I have been getting literary comic books for him and he loves them. He also has been writing his own comic books.

I tried to read Moby Dick but couldn't get past the mapping of France. I just have a hard time being interested in every street name, corner, and man hole in France. But I hope to finish it someday.

We started a book basket last month and it is funny how all of a sudden they are reading books that they refused to read before.

Sonja said...

Thanks for the great book recommendations! I want to read 'The Giants of Seville!' Sam and Elise also really like Calvin and Hobbs. They're classic, right? :)

We also like Nate the Great books. I'm looking forward to Kimball's review of "The Wizard of Oz."

What a great week! Thanks for sharing.